Tough Mudder Toronto – Sunday, August 17, 2014

Posted: August 18, 2014 in My life... Training for obstacle races

Team, "Mudder Lode" - BEFORE

This was definitely the muddiest and the “hilliest” event I’ve ever run! The course planners definitely made use of the hills at the Mount St. Louis Moonstone ski resort…  It had rained on Saturday, making the hills even more difficult to climb.  Many of hills found the limit of several people, and they just called it quits on the side of the hill.  Yeah… It was brutal.

Of course, I thought it was fun because I’m a little sick in the head, I guess.  But seriously, I just  knew that after each difficult hill climb there would be a ‘smoother’, if not at least a less intense downhill.

I ran with Team, “Mudder Lode”.  These guys were all fun and jokes and great attitudes!  We were made up of a great mix of Mudder Legionnaires (one or more TMs completed) and newbies.

We started out together, and it was pretty fun getting everyone through the ‘mud mile’ obstacle.  The ‘mud mile’ is an obstacle that consists of a series of trenches.  The peaks between the trenches are made of clay (made slippery by the mud) and the bottom of the trenches are filled with super slippery, thick, clinging mud.  That mud was filled with large amounts of salt so that even though you could reach the bottom, you would float!  Floating on that mud was a pretty weird feeling, but I was glad to be on top of it, and not struggling to stay afloat.  The thickness and the slickness of the mud did not allow anyone to climb up and over each mud hill by themselves.  So you had to rely on your fellow Mudder to help you out.

About halfway through the course, some of us decided to split apart.  Waiting for most of the group started taking it’s toll on the faster runners who needed to keep moving to keep from cramping up.  We waited a half hour at one of the obstacles, standing at the top of the hill, in the wind, and in the shade.  That wasn’t fun.  Overall, we waited close to an hour’s worth, so we knew we had to keep moving.  With 19 people in our group, the slower Mudders had plenty of support.

So when Kevin Lee (an old friend) and I got to the log carry obstacle, we just busted out the speed.  We kept a great pace and kept passing everyone on the log carry loop.  That was a huge motivator for us and after passing off our log, we felt ready to run.  We just kept going at a good pace and found ourselves at the ‘Arctic Enema’ ice bath jump.  We jumped in and I lost my goPro!  After I came out, I told the volunteer and he said there wasn’t anything he could do.

So I asked to jump in again and look for it.

He looked at me like I was nuts and said, “that’s up to you!”

So jumped into the ice pool one more time and stayed under for about 20 seconds. I felt someones arm reaching for me and I stood up to ask what we was doing.  He said he thought I had drowned.  I told him I just needed another 20 seconds or so and went back down.

I didn’t find my goPro…  😦

But at least I was cooled down! Spending about a minute in that ice water really hit me.

After catching my breath, we began running and in another 1km or so down the course was another hill climb.  It was pretty brutal.  We just kept our head down and kept climbing.  Unfortunately, in the middle of the hill I ran into another person and accidentally stepped on their foot as were both falling.  That’s when I rolled my ankle.  Fortunately (or unfortunately) my ankle rolls about once every race, but this time it did something.  Once we made it to the top of the hill, I really felt it throbbing.  We continued nonetheless.

That loop met around where the Arctic Enema ended and we saw the rest of the group.  They were already about an hour-and-a-half behind us!  We knew we made the right decision.  I don’t think I could’ve gone that slow.

We got to Everest and I felt good.  ‘Everest’ is the ramp climb.  With no hesitation, I ran through the gates with a good speed, but right before the ramp was  thick mud.  My right foot sank into it and took away my momentum.  Quickly.  My left foot hit the ramp at a funny angle and two steps up, my right knee crashed right into the ramp, stopping any further ascent.


I walked back, assessed a clearer route and went for it again.  This time I went up so fast I almost went over the other side!  The technique for this ramp climb is to hit it with a constant speed and to keep going until you’re at the top.  Diving for the edge slows you down and doesn’t always work.  I felt better clearing the top.

We got to the Funky Monkey and I cleared it fine.

After another mud mile and barbed wire crawl (with even THICKER mud), Kevin and I entered the ‘Legionnaire’s Loop’ – an area reserved for ‘Mudder Legionnaires’. It was a tough obstacle that consisted of a bar to traverse, then a ring, another bar, and another ring.  We looked at it and decided to just jump into the water and wash off our mud.  We were just so muddy, we had zero grip.

Of course the next obstacle was going under and over and under floating tubes in a water reservoir.  That was cold.  I’m saying that after telling you that I went through the Arctic Enema TWICE.  This water was COLD!Team, "Mudder Lode" - AFTER

Then… we were done! Electric Shock, the most feared obstacle, was a non-issue.

We finished under four hours, which included waiting time. We washed up, I got my camera, and waited to take photos of our teammates as they crossed the line.  They finished the course in just under seven hours.  It was a proud moment.  All smiles.

This TM was definitely one for the record books!

  1. Contoh Webku says:

    Excellent article!! I am an avid reader of your website:D keep on posting that good content. and I’ll be a regular visitor for a very long time!!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s